Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Radio 104.1

Radio 104.1 WMRQ. This radio station rose out of the alternative rock boom in the mid-nineties and was a breath of fresh air when it began. It was an actual alternative to the big rock stations WHCN and WCCC. For the first 3 years of it's existence I listened feverishly. Absorbing every new morsel I was presented. Sure, they had a specific rotation of songs that you would hear over and over again, but they were constantly debuting new songs from new bands. Many that never went further than their one minor hit. I loved it. What a boom of pop rock. What really stuck with me were the songs I would hear during winter breaks form college. Me and Matt would drive around and hear these same songs over and over. It was so comforting and fun. A great soundtrack to my early college life. Of course, as the years went on, WMRQ became just like every other radio station. Adhering strictly to "the hits". The magic was gone and the station eventually crashed and burned. This batch of songs is all the songs I can remember hearing over and over again during the winters of 1995 and 1996. Download

No comments: