Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Chocolate Pudding" by the Mighty Mighty BossTones (from the album "Medium Rare")

I fell in love with the BossTones in 1993. My friend Darrin's pal John told me all about this wild band from Boston who did these insanely awesome shows. I was super curious. On a trip to Boston in the summer of 1993 with my Dad and brother, we stopped by a record store in Kenmore Square and I was excited to see the BossTones new EP, "Ska-core, the Devil, and More", prominently displayed. I took my last $7 and bought the CD, having never heard the band at all. I immediately fell in love with them.

Cut to the fall of 2003. I fell hard for a girl in my High School who was into punk and ska. She told me about this band from Monroe, CT, Spring Heeled Jack, who she knew I would love since I liked the BossTones. And she was quite right. I went on to see that particular band more times than any other in my life.

I was very happy to find out that December that Spring Heeled Jack and the BossTones were playing a show at The Sting in New Britain. I procured tickets for me, my brother, and his pal Andy, and we went on a cold snowy weekday night to see them. The show was awesome in every way and that was the night that I first heard the BossTones play "Chocolate Pudding".

By this time, I had all of the BossTones albums, so I was confused when I heard the crowd chanting for this song that I was sure was not on any of the albums. The band obliged the crowd, and the sax player, Johnny Vegas, came to the front of the stage to sing. Immediately it became a classic in my mind, and I saw why the crowd had been yearning for it.

To this day it is one of my favorite BossTones songs, and one of my favorite spring/summer jams to rock on a sunny day. The last time I saw the Bosstones, at the Hometown Throwdown in 2002, they played Chocolate Pudding and it was the first time I had heard them do it live since the mid nineties. It was certainly as magical as ever.

For years I had the song on a cassingle (I believe it was finally released as the B-Side to "Kinder Words" in 1994) and when the Napster age came around I acquired an MP3 of it, but it was nice to see it finally come to CD late last year when the reunited BossTones released their "Medium Rare" b-sides album.

download "Chocolate Pudding"

No comments: